Sunday, April 17, 2011

Shepherd's Pie



Shepherd's Pie is a fond memory of my childhood. We used to get giant scoops of it for dinner from the hot deli at Gerrard's Market in Redlands when my Dad would take us grocery shopping with him. It was always so simple, yet hearty and delicious. This time around I tried to convince myself it was healthy and packed full of lean meat and veggies. :-) I did use 96% lean ground beef instead of the lamb. I doubt that made any difference. The end product was a success. I've been eating it for the last 3 days. So satisfying! I also added 1/3 cup grated parmesan to the mashed potatoes & garnished the top of the pie with paprika. (That's how Gerrard's used to do it!) Do a taste test for spices before you assemble the pie. I ended up adding some salt and cayenne. I always add cayenne!

Shepherd's Pie via Epicurious:

No comments:

Post a Comment