Saturday, November 20, 2010

Double Chocolate Cream Pie


When nothing will do but chocolate... this is your friend. I've always been a fan of chocolate cream pie, most often from Marie Callendar's or something of the like, but I had never made it myself. I was inspired to try it out after seeing Julie & Julia. (That was such a great movie, I just love food movies.) I will admit I did cheat a bit on this one. I did not make my own crust, just bought a pre-made shortbread crust from the store. This turned out well, but I was too anxious to eat it. I wish I would have let it chill just a bit longer in the fridge. It is best COLD.

DOUBLE CHOCOLATE CREAM PIE
via The Best of Cooking Light

1 pie crust (I used a shortbread crust)
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
1 large beaten egg
1 1/2 ounces semisweet chocolate, grated
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups whipped topping

Preheat oven to 350. To prepare filling, combine sugar, cocoa, cornstarch, salt, and milk in a medium saucepan. Stir well with whisk. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute until mixture comes to a full boil. Gradually add 1/3 cup hot milk mixture to egg, stir well. Return egg mixture to pan. Cook 2 minutes, or until the mixture thickens, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, add grated chocolate, stirring until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. Stir in vanilla. Spoon mixture into pie crust. Cover surface of filling with saran wrap. Chill until set. (At least 2 hours.) Remove plastic wrap, and top with whipped cream/topping.   

No comments:

Post a Comment